A scenic stretch of the Bonnechere River known historically as the “Little Bonnechere” connects Bonnechere Provincial Park, on the shores of Renfrew County’s Round Lake, with Algonquin Park to the north. In the 1800’s the valley echoed with the sounds of tall pines being felled for the square timber trade. Later, in the middle of this century, the valley’s pine, hemlock, and other forests supported local sawmills. During these logging eras, and to the present day, the river and its wide flat valley formed an important transportation route for logs, supplies and people. In 1986, the Ontario government protected the riverbed and Crown land along the shores as a waterway park. The Bonnechere valley is part of the Ottawa-Bonnechere graben, a large block of land thrust downward along parallel faultlines. Forested uplands now tower 300 metres above the valley floor, providing fine views and vistas just a quick hike from the river’s edge. The river itself meanders through sand and gravel left behind by glacial meltwaters that followed the faultlines. Forests of red and silver maple, black ash, eastern hemlock and red and white pines now flourish along this pretty river valley.
The information, pictures and maps on this page are the property of the campground owner or applicable Provincial, Municipal or Federal Government. No ownership by campinglife.ca is implied and the information may not be up to date. Always verify the information with the campground owner or applicable Provincial, Municipal or Federal Government by calling, sending email, or visit their official and social site.